about

Wildcards is a cheerleading youth academy from Singapore that aims to gather and cultivate like-minded individuals who love the sport. For more about us, please visit our main website.
hit counter

Blog Archive

why coaching is not easy.

Sunday, November 7, 2010


Hi Team,

This is an entry from Coach Weiwei which I found quite meaningful.

It will be useful to try to think from your coach's angle sometimes. This will help you understand the full picture!

I just wanna share.

by Siow Wei Wei on Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 12:04am

I am not someone who expresses myself well face to face, but I have a lot of things that i wanna share after trying to coach all this while:

Coaching/routine planning is torturous. It's not a burden. It's just painful.

I'm often going through internal struggles during trainings because

1) I wish I can be part of the group to make the stunts happen when the success rate faces an all new low, but i can't because I have committed myself to coaching/planning and I do not want to upset the equilibrium by constantly changing players to try out the stunts.

2) I am always trying to figure out the easiest way to get the stunts mechanism across in order to cut short the learning curve.

3) If the stunts cannot be hit, I feel that I have let the team down by not being a good coach.

I am not you, i cannot be you to carry out the pitching as a base/full up as a flyer/catching as a mid-tier. But I have to coach you to do it. If you fail to do it, it's not your fault, it's mine.

It's not that i look down on any one of you. I wish I can help everyone succeed in doing the most amazing stunts, carrying out the most wonderful transition pyramids and gaining the most memorable experience in their cheer journey. But there's a limitation to the things I am able to do. Unless I am your mum, I am not able to constantly monitor your physical fitness, flexibility and strength training. I can only trust that you will do it yourselves during your non-training times.

What I mean is this: You have an old injury before, be more hardworking, go do physio and gain back your muscles. You have weak arm strength for mid-tiering, go do your standard push ups. You lack core muscles, go gym/run/do your sit-ups. There must be something, anything, that you can do to help yourself.

There's a routine which i wish you all can carry out, and I wish that you guys can constantly practise it to achieve consistency. No single team is able to perfect their nationals routine within 1 month of training. If they can, nationals will not be held only once a year. I hope none of you will give up when stunts fail. Because this will not be what cheer is about in the first place.

Having lousy players is not a reason for not being able to execute a good routine. Having a weak mentality is.

No comments: